Written by Cameron VomBaur

The BosNYan Bearsharks’ incredible US Quidditch Cup 10 run continued with a 100*-70 win over local rival Quidditch Club Boston in the quarterfinals. After an out-of-range victory over Lone Star Quidditch Club in the previous round, the Bearsharks are making their presence known as a competitive force despite being a “fun-first” team.

With five former QC Boston players on the Bearsharks’ roster and plenty of other Northeast veterans, there was a high degree of familiarity between the two community squads. However, after two out-of-range wins for Boston in the fall, it seemed clear that QC Boston and Rochester United were the true contenders among the Northeast. On the biggest stage, though, it was BosNYan that advanced to the semifinals.

Just as during its Lone Star match, BosNYan began the game with an explosive run, bursting to a 30-0 lead at the hands of Tyler Trudeau’s thunderous top-hoop slams and dominant beater play. But unlike Lone Star, QC Boston found its groove, taking back a two-goal lead at one point through a plethora of offensive weapons, including Stew Driflot, Jayke Archibald, and Harry Greenhouse. Max Havlin began to take the game over from former championship beating partner Kyle Jeon, and for a brief moment, it looked as though BosNYan might not have enough gas left in the tank to hold on to a winnable game. However, a few successful offensive possessions, featuring clean passing around the hoops, gave the Bearsharks a 70-70 game at the close of the seeker floor.

The quaffle game slowed down tremendously after the 18th minute, with neither side willing to risk trading blows and letting the game get out of range. During the match, there were perhaps only two or three offensive possessions per side, with none of them holding real threats of scoring. Effectively, the teams agreed to a three-on-three game with their beaters and seekers to determine the winner.

With the snitch on pitch, QC Boston quickly began to own the game, with Havlin’s expertise on full display. Highly accomplished seekers Driflot and Greenhouse got extended periods of time alone with the snitch, unhindered by beats or defensive seekers, but were unable to make the grab.

After a lengthy delay for the snitch to be replaced, the Bearsharks took control of the snitch game. Now, it was David Fox who had time alone with the snitch, and he didn’t let the game slip away. With a dramatic diving catch to propel BosNYan into the semifinals with a 100*-70 win.